Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Issue 648 Forgiveness August 4, 2015

What does it mean to forgive?  The Children who lost their mom to the Charleston Church shooter forgave the murderer the very next day.  How were they able to do that?  Let us discuss.

Its faith:  The children of the slain mom had faith.  Their mother taught them the word of God and the teachings of Jesus Christ.  As such, they have been taught how to forgive and to forgive.  Essentially turning the other cheek.  But the sheer level of faith, and the mental fortitude to even say that they forgive the murderer is something that is perhaps beyond many of us.  For faith alone is not the sole driver of why they could say it, irrespective if they meant it personally or not.  Perhaps it was because that is what their mother expected them to do because of how she raised them.  Or maybe they sought to set an example to others.  I really do not know.  But needless to say, the fact that they can forgive a murderer who killed one of their own family is amazing.


Conclusion:  Faith seems to be the primary driver that allowed these children to forgive the murderer.  But can we who do not have as much faith do the same?  Possibly.  I think it also comes from courage fueled by faith.  However, I am not that forgiving despite my faith.  But this is because my faith was taught to me through my parents who have a strong sense of justice and righteousness.  As such, compassion for a murderer or other criminals is small to say the least.  I know my Dad would be the first one to lynch the murderer too (after the trial of course).  So while I can say I am more forgiving than my dad, I cannot do what these Kids did.  So can you forgive someone who murdered your family?  That is a question to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment