Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Issue 389 ASAP-P vs. As long as it takes Prayer July 29, 2014

"As soon as possible prayer" versus "As long as it takes prayer."  This is the two forms of prayer we as human beings who have religion do in times of trouble, when we are week, and when we wish to help others.  But which is the correct way?  Let's discuss.

As soon as possible prayer: As soon as possible prayer (ASAP-P) is the prayer we say when we want something done immediately.  It is all about seeing it done right away because we demand that God exercises his power on our behalf.  But, it is selfish for this to occur.  Or at least I think it is selfish.  God works when the time is right, not when we wish him too.  So no, God will not get you a girlfriend, or a new car or any of the like.  Then in times of hardship we ask God to save us or others, but God only helps those who help themselves.  So if you just want God to solve all your problems, then it probably will not happen.  This is at least how I see it.

As long as it takes prayer:  For the "as long as it takes prayer", it seems to me that this is the correct way to pray.  It essentially is asking God for guidance to achieve the goals you wish.  God does want us to be happy, but his job is not providing the happiness to us.  Instead he whispers in our ear and our heart to make the right choices to make ourselves happy through our own effort and strength.  Sure God is helping in this scenario, but he is not doing the task for you.  Then there are those emergency situations like a loved one’s life is in danger.  This is where things get hairy.  Yes God probably can simply mend all the wounds, broken bones, and the trauma, but why doesn't he?  My guess is that it becomes a test.  A test on one’s faith, hope and love.  That the people injured need time to heal for a reason, and thus cannot be healed right away, while at the same time you the person praying is healing in a different way.  This is my guess as to why this form of prayer is the right way.

Conclusion:  Truth is, I do not know which form of prayer is right or wrong.  I just have a feeling that between these two, the "As long as it takes prayer" makes the most sense and fits with what I have learned in my own faith.  So what do you think?  Do you do the ASAP-P type?  Do you think you are being selfish if you do?  Or are there situations that justify selfishness (if it is selfish in the first place)?  I cannot answer these questions for you.  I personally think I would be selfish if I did the ASAP-P type and thus violate all I believe with respect to my faith.  So I will learn to be patient and continue to be patient for the goals I myself have in mind.  I believe God is within us all, whispering to us to go down the right path.  Being patient and earning everything is just some of those whispers.  It just takes some effort for us to listen.  


No comments:

Post a Comment