Thursday, March 19, 2015

Issue 551 Viewing thyself and others March 19, 2015



How do you view yourself?  Is it as a buff character with all the world bowing to you?  Do you feel that you are insecure?  Are you sad? But what if I told you that someone might see you in a completely different way?  That is right, we each see and understand each other in such a way that there will always be a difference of opinion on one level or another.  So let us discuss.

I see you and you see me:  So despite the characteristics we see ourselves as, someone will see you differently than how you see yourself.  We have all experienced this before.  I am a college graduate, and obviously an adult, and yet when someone looks at my hobby of model building, they think me immature or unique and cool, depending on who they are.  Likewise I am book smart and thus when I recite facts or figures some will reject it as me being naive, or they will accept it and say I am well read.  So people have actually told me that they are intimidated by me.  I don't come off as a know it all to a majority of people, but there are instances where some people think I am.  But this is surface level.  What about people who can look deeper into your soul.  Again, people may see you as courageous, bull headed, intriguing, etc.  But these opinions are based on careful observation and thus people who get to know each other well enough and thus learn to deal with them.  For instance I have a friend where once they get into a funk, they cannot be broken out of it for any length of time.  The only way to handle that was to just leave them alone.  However, if you asked them what their opinion of themselves was, they would say that they were in excellent shape.  This is all because we cannot view ourselves properly without an external lens.

Reasoning:  We look at each other differently and ourselves differently due to a few things.  The primary reason is experience.  As we collect information and mature in our daily lives we acquire information on how to deal with each other.  This shapes our perspectives which determines how we view one another.  This combined allows us to compare ourselves to others which in turn helps us identify and figure out who and what we are inside.  In other words, we springboard off each other to identify who we are on the inside, but then our interactions with others, with them sharing their thoughts on us, helps us to finally begin to see the actual us on the inside.  


Conclusion:  Humanity cannot exist without it being able to interact with the environment or itself.  If a person lives in seclusion, they will eventually loose sense of self, and thus what it means to be human.  They will mentally break down.  So we must interact with one another to better get to know who and what we are on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment