Thursday, February 7, 2013

Issue 3 healthy food Feb,7,2013

   My final issue of the day is health food.  I talked about prepping for the worst in my previous article Issue 2, so I thought it appropriate to talk about something fun.  I originally got this idea from Dr. Oz on his TV program.  He was talking about healthy alternatives to everyday foods.  The one I tried (today) is a mayo substitute in which you mix Avocados and Greek yogurt together. 

Obviously, gut the avocado and mash its lovely green flesh (kind of like you do when making guacamole).  In this case I used two avocados.  Then mix in the Greek yogurt (it has to be Greek to work), in my case a large helping of Chobani Greek yogurt.  I added a little salt (less than half a teaspoon for mine) as a preservative and to add flavor contrast to the mix.

The result was great, I had my avocado/Greek sauce on a ham and cheese sandwich and it tasted awesome.  It is healthy due to the avocados  providing fiber and vitamins and nutrients, while the yogurt offers a low fat probiotic (it's good for digestion) as the binding agent.  Way healthier than mayo, and has a unique taste that makes it (at least for me) worthwhile.  I give it a shelf life maximum of 2 weeks, and a fun factor of 10 out of 10 if you are making it with friends family or children.

Enjoy and happy eating

2 comments: