Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Issue 81 Should College be Free May 21, 2013


I would say no. I have my reasons and they are simple and succinct. Maybe I am biased as I went to a private University (Hofstra), but for me, not everyone is cut out for the college life and we may be putting too much stock in this form of higher learning.

It is a privilege: For one education is a privilege. We have to pay for schools whether it is in the form of payments, or in the form of taxation. Thus, no form of schooling is truly free as you not only pay for yourself and your children, but with respect to government run education; you are paying for everyone else too. To go to school is not a right in any way, shape, or form. Some of you may disagree and I welcome that disagreement. However, take this into account; you can get the same knowledge for free at a library or on the internet. The role of college is not just about educating people, it is about recognizing that you have knowledge in the eyes of your first employer. After that, college becomes nothing but a tool to use to get around in social circles which may let you meet someone who may give you the "good word" and help you move to a higher paying job. In short, college enhances the "who you know factor". Learning on the other hand is a right as you do it every single day in every thing that you do. There is a difference.

Free Colleges: There is no such thing. If you still think that a college that says it is free is actually free, then look at how much you pay in taxes. I don't want to pay for someone’s free education. The idea is repulsive to me on account of the fact that I was once a college student my self. People went to college not to learn (at least a good portion of the people I went to college with) but to party. It was there parents paying for their kids to party for four straight years. As such, I would not hang out with that group as I wanted to devour all forms of knowledge at my finger tips. I studied Persian, Italian, Sign Language, Art history, Political Science (my major), religion, and more. I also read outside the class room just to stay ahead and also challenge the teacher at every turn. I questioned the status quo with boldness and thus I graduated with honors. But that is enough of me tooting my own horn; I’m here to say why we should not support other people’s quest for education (well at least certain people). Fact is that not every one should go to college and there are people who would have made more money if they never went to college in the first place. I know students who just never could fit in to the college class room and so they jumped from college to college getting a free ride off there parent’s money. I do not want to see the same thing happen with free colleges as those people are just free riders getting a good reputation off a college that they could care less about.

Who should get the help?: I know of only one group of people who should go to college and get a free ride. That is people who want to learn and strive academically. They care put there work first and thus their future first. It is not about fun and games at college as fun and games are a privilege saved for when all there work is complete. I am talking about the highly motivated students at all income and class levels that want to rise above themselves and set an example to their brothers and sisters and other members of their family. Here, they are to be idolized and they want to be praised for their hard work. It is these people who have made colleges look good for so long. Truth is however; if these people never went to college and just went into the private sector first, they would still be well off as their motivation is what pulls them to greater heights. The work becomes its own reward.

Conclusion: I don't like free riders. Also, I don't like what colleges have become. They are less about learning and more about recreation (at least here in America). I don't know how it is in other countries, but I would hope they kick students out who do not perform up to a strict set of criteria. In addition, colleges in the U.S. have become corrupt and are part of the crony capitalist culture by snuffing out jobs. They do this by making certain jobs require a college level education which enhances pay for those who manage to get into the field, but leaves people who are just as capable unable to afford the cost and other regulatory hurdles. In essence colleges support the over licensed culture of the job market. Since when do we need a college classroom to study how to make pottery, let alone get a license to make one for sale? The myth of college and free schooling is over. Thanks to the internet and people who fight for us in places like the Supreme Court our freedoms are slowly being returned even as others are confiscated. The power to learn and surpass yourself is in your own hands. What you need to succeed has always been within your grasp. You are motivated to succeed and because of that, you will through effort and the seizing of opportunities that are presented to you rise above your peers. You will separate yourself from the rest of the masses to lead rather than follow. College is a tool to do that, this is true. But ask yourself, is going there for four years worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment