Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Issue 87 Did you know: Baby development May 29,2013


I learned about baby development in my AP Psychology class back in high school. I found it interesting and I thought I would share this knowledge in the hopes of aiding parents in raising there children. So here I go.

Developing the nervous system: When babies are born they are of course still developing. This is especially true for their nervous systems as they are for the first time being exposed to all sorts of new stimulus. As such, the simple act of holding the baby, touching their little fingers and toes aids in the overall development of the baby. Basically, touch your child so that the nerves in their body are stimulated and as such develop. The more stimuli you give the baby the faster they develop. They have even done experiments with monkeys where one was given a wire mesh mother and the other a mother clothed in warm cloth. What scientists found was that the monkey baby with the cloth mom developed not only faster, but was healthier as well. So in short, giving a baby your love and attention is a very good thing if you want your child to grow up healthy.

Speak to a baby, not gibberish: Have you ever said "goo goo ga ga" to a baby. Well don't do that! Babies are like a sponge with knowledge being the liquid. By speaking gibberish and even imitating the sounds of your child you are holding back their language and even their brain development. Just like touch, sound helps the baby’s nervous system develop, in this case for the purpose of being able to speak. Also, when speaking to the infant, try to make it so the can see your lips moving because the baby will in fact try to imitate you. This enables the mouths nerves and muscles to grow too even if the baby has yet to understand what they are imitating. Basically, talk to your child like you would any other individual and it will help your child develop faster and maybe even healthier.

Conclusion: I love children. I literally have a bunch of young cousins who when I see them, I can't help but hug them out of love. Of course they then proceed to maul me in a group to which there parents must yank them off. Needless to say it is kind of funny. As I love the kids in my family so much, I wanted to help parents with respect to their young children and showing their love and affection toward them. I am sure we can all agree that we want all children to grow up happy and healthy and thus why I write this tiny article here for you today. I hope you find it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment