Thursday, April 17, 2014

Issue 316 simple life April 17,2014


What is a simple life?  How do we achieve such things?  From my personal experience I will tell you how far I have come to achieving that and how much I have left to go.

Cutting things out: The basic foundation of achieving the simple life is to cut out all the things that you don't need in your everyday life.  This means stuff.  Not just any stuff, but all the stuff that you do not need.  This means stuff that builds up in your home that has no value.  It means being rid of objects that my become a burden to you.  Such things could include collectors’ items, magazines, to do lists etc.  The list goes on for a while.  I myself have narrowed down my hobbies to three things (a collector’s game, martial arts and reading).  By narrowing down these things I have reduced the clutter in my own life and have given value to the things I continue to do.  Martial arts gives me both physical and some mental exercises.  Book reading exercises my brain and imagination, and finally the collectors game is just to break up the monotony of everyday life and acts as another social activity I can do with my friends.  Sure your hobbies can be different from mine and that you can in fact have more than what I have now.  But make sure they have meaning to them, as if they do not then they may just be a waste of your time.

Simpler path:  In this case you want to achieve the goals in life with the path of least resistance, but not at the cost of the journey.  What I mean by this is that while heading toward your goal it is ok to take shortcuts.  However, if those shortcuts break the law or create guilt, then they are just more burdens on the path of life.

Treating others:  This is very simple.  In fact, every religion has advocated it almost universally.  Treat others as you want to be treated.  A simple concept that is hard to follow.  Basically this rule allows you to kill any enemies with kindness, and not burn any relationships with those around you in a negative way.  I cannot say I have always followed this advice, but with the experiences I have had I can say it is worth the effort to try.

Knowing when to let go:  It is unfortunate that sometimes living a simpler life means letting go of people in your life.  The member of your family that gets you into trouble with the law.  That friend that will not seek help for drug addiction while still hanging around your family.  There are times people have to hit rock bottom to wake up to their delusions and thus seek help.  Even then, they will struggle to crawl out of the whole they dug themselves.  So letting that individual go and then recognizing when that individual is finally ready to try saving themselves becomes very important.  Love is also another area that this falls under. If the person is being held back by you, then it may be time to put some distance between you and that individual.  It is sad and heart breaking, which is true. However, if the person you loved can achieve happiness then it is worth it in the end (at least from my perspective).

Conclusion:  Living simply is unique to each individual.  The reason is because we each have our own burdens to bear.  By recognizing those burdens and either letting them go, or changing ones situation we can a achieve a more harmonious life.


No comments:

Post a Comment