Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Issue 495 Assisted suicide: My Re-evaluation December 31 2014

My cats recent death has actually made me re-evaluate my stance on assisted suicide.  The reason being was that I had to put my cat to sleep or she would have died a slow agonizing death from cancer, or starved due to the cancer preventing her from eating, or toxemia in the blood from the cancer shutting down her kidneys (not to mention she could barely move anymore).  As you can see, my decision was made for me, despite how painful it was.  Now I loved my cat dearly, and I can only imagine what it is like for some people to go through something like this, but with a human being.  Thus, my re-evaluation. 

My new thoughts:  At first I thought that people who commit suicide in general were week.  That they had to simply realize that they, no matter the pain and suffering, they could overcome it.  I even thought that a doctor was violating their oath if they aided in the suicide.  But, unfortunately or fortunately we are not the same people we were when the oath was first written up in ancient Greece.  So now I have looked at the issue again, and have determined that there are helpless situations (obviously) and then there are situations where people just can't see, find, or afford a way out.  So if you have not figured it out already, I am now in favor of assisted suicide despite my wishing and hoping that the individual will do everything in their power to try and live.

Conclusion:  Many things that occur in life can change a person’s mind.  In my case, my dearly departed cat Cassie was the one who caused me to have an epiphany and thus shock me out of being so naive.  So I will not tell you however that you have to support a person committing suicide, but know that we all really do not have a say in their doing it, for it is unfortunately a part of their right to live. 


No comments:

Post a Comment